Tuesday, May 7, 2013


Play


I am currently reading Mark Sissons book (which I have linked in the recommended reading section). He talks a lot about play. I have integrated this into my free time and have opted for options that I loved when I was younger.

I used to love art in primary school, not so much in secondary school - I had distractions like woodwork and metalwork to pull me away from choosing it. Then in college I definitely enjoyed many aspects but not so much the pressure deadlines. Well I bought some basic art supplies and got stuck in. From college I had a lecturer that introduced us to left hand drawing which changes the mindset when drawing( for me anyway). I just didn't have the pressure of,' that doesn't look in proportion or that line isn't straight'. Instead I just have, 'ah sure its my left hand - it will be grand'. This I found as a big stress reducer. I highly recommend you give it a try.


Climbing trees. Well growing up my mother used to take us to the Botanic Gardens, The flowers didn't interest me too much but the trees did, climbing them just seemed like the only option. In the back garden at home there is a large pear tree that requires some deli-quit movement to get to the good pears. 
Well the same tree I made my pull up ropes on also turns out to be great for climbing. I got some sudden darts of adrenaline (that lasted some time) up the top with a few slips but fortunately my reactions are as sharp when I was young and nimble.

From the tree climbing I spotted an old ruin with a big pile of rocks. I couldn't resist I went over and started stacking the rock piles. This I learned from Paul Cheks blog that is actually much harder then he makes out. Its a really tough workout that I rotate between gym and outdoor sessions.
(if you look closely you can see rock stack)

For information on gym programs and outdoor sessions feel free to contact me through the about section for details on how you can integrate your PLAY activities into your custom workout and work-in routines.

Health is everything,

Lorcan

No comments:

Post a Comment