Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Teen Hols, Article on Mental Health, Visit to High Rock & Damien Demsey


Happy Tuesday to you,

Today in my blog Ill cover what I have been up to in the last week and how I spent time over the long weekend in Dublin.

Teen Hols - SVP - Link to Facebook
I spent Tuesday to Saturday in Baltinglass with the teens hols charity with SVP. The purpose is to give deserving teenagers from inner city, Tallaght, Crumlin etc, a holiday. This is five days packed full of adventure in Wicklow & Kilkenny. We had amazing weather for the period which we rock climbed at the climbing walls in Baltinglass, canoed down the river Barrow finishing at the diving boards in Graignamanagh, horse rode going from trot to canter, swimming in the Slaney, hill walked across the Wicklow way (picture below- thanks for photo Linda) and more all while trying to keep up with twenty four passionate teenagers. I had amazing time and fully recommend volunteering with them.

Article on Mental Health - Link

A friend and mentor of mine John Cantwell put this up a while back which is completely contrasting conventional treatment of mental health. Very informative read I am sure you will enjoy.

Visit to High Rock & Damien Demsey

My friend Timmy Hammersly ( centre ) is off to walk the Camino de Santiago, before he flew off on Monday Myself and Joe ( all SOAR crew )thought no better way to prepare then a dip in the sea at high tide in Portmarknock. Swimming in the sea is incredibly vitalizing and refreshing which I fit in two to three times a week. I find my sleep quality to be much more in tune with natural circadian rythyms which is why when traveling across time zones I prioritize swimming in the sea before and after to beat jet lag ASAP.
You can find more on the benefits from when I interviewed Donal Carr Here. It's no surprise the following day at high tide I seen Damien Demsey swimming.
During one of my first training workshops with SOAR we played Damien's Busting Outta here which was recorded in my old boxing club in Glasnevin.
I had five fights in the ring there and some of my proudest moments winning in front my father and friends.
I haven't had the luxury of seeing Damien live but with him playing in Portmarknock in late September, that will have to change.
Here is his video.


With Timmy flying off from Dublin airport,a couple of old team mates from Waterford IT got together for a 
night out. Here is Timmy on left, Brendan Kenny, Shane Fives, 
Jennifer and myself 
in SAMs bar on Dawson Street.

People often ask me do I drink and are some what surprised
when I tell them I do.

I balance alcohol with my metabolic type by eating higher protein and fat meals, hydrate well and swim in the sea before and after. I don't drink two days in a row as it doesn't give my body a chance to recover. I find it very important to eat large vital meals the 

following day and exercise.
My favorite alcohol to consume is Bio-dynamic wine, but that's
for another blog post!

Some slow cooked organic grass finished beef from omegabeefdirect.ie.

Enjoy the week,

Lorcan 

No comments:

Post a Comment